According to the WHO, 15% of all those who suffer from mental disorders are working-age individuals. Recent research suggests that nutrient based medications could help in the treatment of mental health disorders in both individuals and populations.
Five micronutrients were recommended as aiding better mental health management. These
1) B complex vitamins, especially Folate, B6 and B12 to enhance mental health and
positively impact cognitive performance.
2) Vitamin C to manage symptoms of anxiety, depression or bipolar disorder
3) Vitamin D to reduce symptoms of depression.
4) Zinc to reduce emotional instability and to handle stress.
5) Omega 3 fatty acids to prevent ageing, preserve cognitive functions, reduce post- partum depression, control major depression and schizophrenia.